Amstel Station is a subway and railway station. The subway line is the link between De Bijlmermeer and the city; the railway line connects the stations Amsterdam Central and Utrecht Central. It is also, besides being the station for a number of regional bus lines, a Eurolines terminal for coaches to and from other destinations throughout Europe. The station dates from 1939, when it was opened as a replacement for the Weesperpoort terminus.
The Berlage Bridge west of the station forms the link between Rivierenbuurt (Amsterdam-South) and Weesperzijde (Watergraafsmeer). The bridge, designed by H.P. Berlage, when it was completed in 1932, provided access to Plan South, that had hitherto been inaccessible in the west because of the River Amstel.
Berlage, true to his reputation, had with the design of this bridge a keen eye for details and hidden meanings. Hildo Krop also contributed to this bridge. On the conspicuous tower of the bridge a four-metre high ceramic panel is displayed. Hildo Krop designed it. The panel portrays the Genius of Amsterdam as she emerges from the water.
South of Amstel Station is the business park Omval, where since the 1990s three skyscrapers have stood on Amstelplein. The Rembrandt Tower is the tallest of the three. The tower has 35 floors and a height of 135 metres – it is also the highest tower of Amsterdam.
Amsteldorp is a district to the southeast of Amstel Station. Most of it was constructed shortly after the Second World War. The small houses were originally built for occupation by the elderly, but nowadays it is, in the shadow of the three skyscrapers, one of the quietest neighbourhoods of the city. To the north of Gooiseweg the Law Department of Amsterdam Polytechnic is located in Europe House.
The Renault building on Wibautstraat opposite the station and commissioned by ‘Régie Nationale des Usines Renault France’ was built between 1957 and 1960. It was designed by W.S. van de Erve. These days this is apart from Het Financieele Dagblad and BNR News Radio, the location of Café-Restaurant Dauphine. The name ‘Dauphine’ refers to the successful Renault model from the 1950s. The restaurant is open everyday from 10 a.m. and has room for 240 guests. You can get a fine ‘plateau de Fruits de Mer’ here. The menu also offers an extensive selection.
Besides by train and subway the neighborhood can be reached on tram line 12.